PAST SIMPLE/ PAST CONTINUOUS/ PAST PERFECT
A Choose the correct answer.
1. I heard a knock at the front door so I (went / was going) to answer it.
2. At this time yesterday, I (wrote / was writing) an essay.
3. The football season (began / was beginning) a month ago.
4. She (had graduated / graduated) from school in 2001.
5. We entered the house quietly because everyone (was sleeping / had slept).
6. By the time we (got / had got) to the cinema, the film had already started.
7. The children (were playing / played) in the garden while their parents were watching them.
8. They (had left / left) many hours before we arrived.
B Choose the sentence which is closer in meaning to the original.
1. I had already seen the film but I decided to watch it again last night.
a. I watched the film last night for the first time.
b. Last night wasn’t the first time that I had seen the film.
2. The boys were playing football while it was raining.
a. The boys were playing football until it started to rain.
b. The boys played football in the rain.
3. I was writing an e-mail when our computer broke down.
a. Our computer broke down before I wrote an e-mail.
b. I had started writing an e-mail and then our computer broke down.
4. My aunt bought me a lovely gift after she had spent the summer holiday with us.
a. When the summer holiday was over, my aunt bought me a lovely gift.
b. While my aunt was spending the summer holiday with us, she bought us a lovely gift.
© B Burlington Books